dean@dcameragroup.com
(410) 268-8000

Protect your family from a silent killer: Radon Gas

//
Posted By
/
Comment0
/
Categories

Make sure to test your house for Radon Gas

Today we visit the Cincinnati Insurance Company blog for a very important topic that can have an affect on homeowners and their families here in Annapolis, Maryland.  As many of you know, before you buy your house, it has to pass a Radon test to be sure that it is safe to inhabit.  But how do you know if it is still safe after a few years?

Most of us have heard that smoking kills thousands of Americans every year and is the leading cause of lung cancer.  But do you know the second leading cause?

Surprisingly, it is the prolonged exposure to radon gas.  According to the National Institutes of Health, 15,000 to 22,000 lung cancer deaths in the United States each year can be attributed to this toxic gas.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas originating from the breakdown of uranium in the earth.  The natural breakdown of rock and soil releases radon gas, which can invade homes through cracks and sump pump openings in basement foundations.  From there, the gas can be inhaled.

Both existing and newly constructed homes have the potential to harbor high radon levels.  There are ways to protect your family or tenants and restore peace of mind.  Radon test kits are available at home improvement stores at a reasonable price.  If radon levels test high — four pico curies per liter (pCi/L) or more — then you should take steps to reduce radon levels.

The most common method is to install a radon remediation system, which acts as a vacuum, sucking out the hazardous gases and releasing the vapors outside and away from living quarters.  Most systems can be installed by homeowners or professionals certified in radon remediation for around $500-$1,000.

Even with a radon system, homeowners will still want to conduct a radon test every few years to verify the device is working properly.

For more information, give us a call at 410-268-8000

Leave a Reply